Tuesday, June 7, 2011

First Week of Summer Break

Oh yeah, it is on.  Texas is known for it's hot summers, and this year is no exception.  We have been so super fortunate this year to begin the upper 90's early this summer, ugh!  Although it hasn't broken 100 degrees yet, I have a feeling it is going to be one of those summers where we have a long string of 100+ degree days (for you Texans-remember the summer of 1980, whew!)  So, the a/c has to run longer and more often to keep it cool in this house.  When I start moving, cleaning and cooking, it just seems hot no matter what the thermostat is set on.

I am very excited.  The pool is coming along.  There is gunite in the big hole in the yard with plumbing and electrical stuff, and the plans are to complete the coping and tile work the end of the week.  Hopefully, they will begin setting the forms for the decking next week.  They cannot complete this pool fast enough.  We were able to pick out our tile and finish choices this past weekend.  I think it will match the exterior of the house nicely.  We are rustic Texans, and the pool will be no different.

Today, I am working on my laundry room.  I am installing a cabinet unit and reorganizing the stuff I keep in there.  One major change for the room is relocating the pool gear and swim towels for easy access.  While I am working on the installation, I am also washing all of our clothes, sheets, towels, and anything else that can be washed.  I want to get it all done at once, and attempt to stay on top of it with a weekly schedule chart. 

I succeeded in creating the Summer Chore Chart for the girls.  I took away the obvious things like homework, and added a few things like cleaning the bathroom and taking the sheets off the bed for the laundry.  Hopefully, with their help, we can get everything done first thing in the morning and play all afternoon and evening.

I have decided that cooking inside just makes it too hot in the kitchen.  I am planning my menus to include more soups, sandwiches, grilled foods, and fresh vegetables and fruits.  If I can organize myself like I hope to, I will plan to cook extra meats and veggies on the grill on Saturday and Sunday, and use them over the week to complete the other menu plans.  Luckily, the girls enjoy grilled foods, especially grilled veggies and fruits.  Once the pool is complete, I am hoping it will be more convenient to be outside with the girls and cook, too.

I should complete the cabinet installation and washing all of the clothes today, so tomorrow I plan to start working on de-cluttering the rest of the house.  I have things piled here and there waiting on space to store it.  It will definitely feel much lighter and less overwhelming around here when I don't see so much clutter.  I told the girls I have devoted this entire week to cleaning, organizing, and de-cluttering the house.  They are less than excited about that.

Next week, I have to address collecting all of the stuff the girls need for camp, and packing it so we can actually get it all there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment